The Cross Cultural Experience
NNU's cross culture program is designed to increase the student's ability to interact in meaningful and competent ways with people from diverse backgrounds and differing world views.
Each student must meet the University's requirement for cross-cultural experience, while attending NNU. This is achieved by completing labs associated with a variety of courses and/or experience. Traditional students must earn 4 cross culture points by completing either a single level 4 experience or combination of level one, two and three experiences.*
*Transfer and non-traditional students may have a lesser requirement. These students should contact the registrar's office to determine their cross culture requirement.
Outcomes of a Quality Experience
- Ability to recognize cultural differences and similarities between home and target culture.
- Ability to compare and contrast values held by the home and target cultures.
- Personal recognition/experience of areas of tension between the values of home and target culture.
- Personal experience of resolution of tension or accommodation to the values of the target culture.
- Growth in the intercultural competencies necessary for meaningful intraction with individuals from target culture.