About NNU's Cross Cultural Experience
Each student must meet the University's requirement for cross-cultural experience, while attending NNU, in one of the following ways:
These experiences include:
- Study Abroad and Off-Campus Programs (Level 4 Experience)
- NNU On A Mission: Spring Break and Summer Travel (Mostly Level 3 and 4 Experiences)
- Courses that satisfy the Cross Cultural Experience (Level 1 and 2 Experiences)
- Stand Alone Experiences (Level 1, 3 or 4 Experiences)
ALL Students must be enrolled in an Intercultural Lab for each cross cultural experience.
When enrolling in a course approved as a cross cultural experience, students should enroll in a "mirror" Lab with the same course number. For example, a student taking CLTA1550 Cultural Anthropology must enroll in (and complete) CLTA1550CC Intercultural Lab Level 2. Labs appear in the course bulletin directly beneath a host course.
Student-planned experiences must be approved by Professor Blowers, who will then enroll the student in the appropriate Lab.
What Makes for a Quality Cross Cultural Experience?
- Recognition of cultural differences and similarities between home and target culture.
- The ability to compare and contrast values held by the home and target cultures.
- Personal recognition/experience of areas of tension between the values of home and target culture.
- Personal experience of resolution of tension or accommodation to the values of the target culture.
For more information about the Intercultural Labs contact:
David Blowers at 208-467-8033
Maureen Matlock at 208-467-8619
or email email@example.com